lunes, 24 de noviembre de 2008

The crowded bubbles

Here you can see the new Venezuelan political map (counting only the governors of each state, not the mayors, I will try to work on a map based on those results as soon as I got them). It is quite obvious that Chavez' party won and won big at most of the states, leaving us only a very few blue areas. But the ones who are busy celebrating that our country is still totally revolutionary, must look at those tiny blue areas: the states with most population, most industries and therefore with more strategic importance that the other except for the case of Bolívar or Anzoátegui that still belong to them; are now in opposition hands.
They are bubbles, crowded bubbles, trapped and alone in a world that still belong to the revolution, surrounded by revolutionary states, exposed to the constant threats of the government but still offering not only resistance but maybe proper alternative political projects to the country.

Things doesn't look as good as I wanted, and it makes me sad to see Venezuelans of those red states voting like sheeps for the Commander and Chief desires. It makes me sad to see that a huge part of Venezuela, probably the most part, think that the Revolution is actually good for us. I don't care if people like the Revolution or not, my point is that the forces are not even close of being balanced and the Revolution has way too much power in part because a lot of people wanted that way, and still do.

But things can get better, with time. The mayors and governors who are going to be at the offices that once belong to the Revolution have a lot of work to do, in most parts the Revolution has proof to be nothing but unneficient in its way to rule. In Caracas, from having only three mayors out of six, we have five now so I trust this brings some changes to my city that has become dangerous, dirty and depressive under the Revolution command. Lets just wait and see if the life inside one of those crowded bubbles proof to make some difference.

6 comentarios:

  1. Heh, they won the majority of states but the opposition one some of the more important ones. Shows that there may be a dissent among the "anti-patriotics", he he.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. To play Devil's advocate, of sorts, I think however this election turned out, each side would apply its own spin. To be sure, this is an improvement for the opposition in terms of sheer numbers on 2004. That is something to be celebrated, I suppose. That chavismo retained 17 states, well, obviously both you and I would have liked to have seen a less red map. That said, Chavez wasted no time in declaring that Venezuela is still a revolutionary country, bla bla bla.

    The silver lining is the states won by the opposition, realizing that the three most populous are now in opposition hands. It shouldn't be overlooked that the two held since 2004 remain oppo states, signifying that the people of Nueva Esparta and Zulia want to see a continuation of government, which clearly does not include chavismo.

    Future focus? The oppo can get urban areas, but the rural areas still seem out of reach... To my mind, they've gotta prove that they can't just talk about rich vs. poor, but urban culture vs. rural (particularly llanera) culture. They have to understand that they can't campaign the same way in Edo. Miranda as they do in Edo. Portuguesa, and to be frank, this election cycle, I saw little evidence of that. Y vos, que piensas?

    Oh, and a question: why are we still waiting on results of key mayoralties like Valencia and Maracay? Didn't my girl Tibi say, yet again, that this is the most perfect electoral voting system in the history of the earth? Por Dios, esta man esta loca...

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Well Kate, you know how our electoral system is like. And I'm not sure if I should trust the numbers CNE gave in the rural areas. Is not that I don't want to recognize the triumph of the government in must of the states.. is just that if I remember correctly we still don't have the final results of the recall on the constitutional reform made almost one year ago... so why should I trust Tibisay and her team?

    But of course, campaigns maybe should be focused in a different way depending on the areas, seems I rarely go to the rural Venezuela I don't know how it should be done, in what way it could be different. In the way people think I haven't notice huge difference between the people in Caracas and the people from far distant places... only that their lives go on in a slower way so... But like I said, I can count with my fingers the times I have been in the rural part of my country so I truly don't know.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Bueno pues, estoy curioso de saber por qué a tí no te gusta Chávez..En particular, cuáles son las politicas con que no estás de acuerdo?

    Hay que recordar que la llegada de Chávez a la escena nacional y su gran ascenso político vienen en contexto de décadas de frustración con una clase gobernadora que siempre actuó en los intereses de los grandes empresarios a la expensa de la población general.

    Por ejemplo, lo que hizo Pérez en 1989 con todas las liberalizaciones ecenómicas y el cambio del precio del bolivar hizo que el 80% de la población se veía destitutado a la pobreza extrema.

    Podemos hablar de la democracía y las derechas humanas pero al fondo lo que está pasando es una guerra de las clases en que los pobres parecen estar ganando al momento.

    Y ¿cómo vas a apoyar una oposición que continuamente cierra hospitales y misiones sociales, cuales sólo sirven a la gente más vulnerable? Eso no tiene sentido ninguno menos que no te importa a los pobres.

    ¡Que siga la gran revolución!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Julian Tu comentario tiene tantos puntos que he necesitado de un post para contestarlos todos. Prometo colgar ese post antes del martes. Para no excluir al resto de los lectores lo haré en inglés. Chequea el blog entonces entre el martes y el miércoles, tendrás tu respuesta y podremos seguir discutiendo

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Hey there, Julia 1984, you never responded to my last post...What happened?

    ResponderEliminar

(NEW!!!) COMMENT POLICY
In order to avoid spam, I have comment moderation activated. This mean that I won't publish your comment if:
a. You clearly state you don't want your comment to be published
b. Your comment is disrespectful
c. Your comment is out of topic

To be honest, I love every time someone leaves a comment. This blog doesn't mean anything without a feedback. So speak out your mind, with the truth. I'm sure I can handle it